Sunday, May 18, 2008

WAR DANCE

For three years I have been on a personal boycott of television and Hollywood products. In the process I have missed out on some good stuff that I should be aware of. One of which is War Dance, a documentary that was in the running for this year's Oscars Best documentary film category.
Its basically about children from the war torn Northern Uganda who prepare to go to an annual music festival in the Capital Kampala. The music festival in question is extremely competitive and I am yet to watch the documentary and see how they performed. If you have Netflix, you can watch it instantly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright I have watched the documentary and I would like to see the documentary that got the Oscar. This is one of the best pieces I have seen. I have a background in documentary film making so I have a clue on what makes a good documentary.
I tend to steer away from gutt wrenching stories especially if they are from my region. The makers of this documentaty manage to tell the story without resorting to gory details and graphical images. They tell the remarkable story of these children that leaves you inspired and in a strange way restoring your faith in humanity.