Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Would you take a trip to Goree Island ?

I am all for adventure and travelling but a trip to Goree Island would be pushing it.

I once saw a CNN Black American reporter visiting a preserved slave fort and the man got visibly shaken by being in the place that was the last Africans saw of their homeland. This short video clip has something similar.

Goree Island is listed as a world Heritage site under UNESCO. You can find out more about Goree Island at UNESCO's official site

GOREE ISLAND, a tourist destination ?



I have walked through battle fields but I doubt that I could go to Goree Island by myself. I would need a whole village for support. I am still debating on whether to put it on the list of places to visit in my life time yet I feel I must.

Alright, on a side note, I see white tourists in this place and I am wondering, What were they thinking? And how brave are these people ?